Tuesday, October 17, 2006

CBGBs, R.I.P.

As many of you may know, CBGBs, New York City's legendary punk rock venue, closed for good (unless you count its move to Vegas, where all good things go to die, as staying open—which I don't) on Sunday night (actually early Monday morning, but whatever). The final show was, appropriately enough, Patti Smith. I didn't manage to make it to the show, but a friend of mine, Scott Moulaison, did, and blogged about it. Herewith, an excerpt of his fine account of CBGBs' last stand (and the week or so prior, with shows from The Dictators and The Bad Brains):
Finally, last night. The grand finale of CBGB's, led by the grand dame of the Bowery bunch, Pattti Smith. I have probably seen Patti more often since I've moved to the area than any other artist. Perhaps 15-20 times, including with a few exceptions, every New Year's Eve (or the night before), but that did not dim my excitement for the show. The scene outside CB's was a madhouse. At least a thousand people milling about, press everywhere, and lines, lines, lines. But Nicole and I had tickets and we knew there was a light at the end of the rainbow.
To read the whole thing, visit Scott's blog here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention a light at the end of the TUNNEL...or a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Jessh, I know I was tired when I wrote that but now I'm afraid to look at the whole essay again...if your tiny chunk is any indication, I would have been better off sleeping rather than writing!

Hunter R. Slaton said...

Not at all, my friend; god forbid something written about CBGBs should be 100 percent coherent and correct!